Student Permit

Home / Student Permit


Student Permit

Student permits are issued to applicants whose primary purpose of visiting a country is for education. These permits vary in terms of document requirements, acceptable proof of funds, and what activities are permitted beyond studying in the country.

Key Details:

Students cannot travel on the Waiver Program or with Visitor Passes.

A student permit (F or M) is required to study in the United States. Foreign nationals may not study after entering on a visitor (B) pass or through the Waiver Program (VWP), except to undertake recreational study (non-credit) as part of a tourist visit.
For short periods of recreational study, a Visitor (B) pass may be appropriate.
A visitor (B) pass permits enrollment in a short recreational course of study, which is not for credit toward a degree or academic certificate. Study leading to a U.S.-conferred degree or certificate is never permitted on a visitor (B) pass, even if it is for a short duration. For example, a student in a distance learning program that requires a period of time on the institution’s U.S. campus must obtain a student (F or M) permit prior to entering the United States.
When should I apply for a Student Permit?
Studying abroad requires meticulous planning, to say the least. Students are always advised to plan their admission/application process keeping in mind university deadlines and working backward. Students are required to appear for English eligibility tests as per the university policy and also have required documents in place for the smooth processing of their application. Hence, students are always advised to apply 3-4 months in advance to avoid any last-minute rush. Candidates seeking financial aid, scholarships, and education loans should add another couple of extra months to the process as these applications take more time.
Different countries have different requirements. Here are some quick links to Student Permit Guides for the top study abroad destinations, Interview Guide for F1 Permits, and SPP and non-SPP requirements.

Need a Permit Application?

Free Online Assessment